Our training sessions getting quite stimulating and interactive. Today, focus was on Emotional Intelligence in a bid to enhance performance on the job.
Highlights of the Training
What is Emotional Intelligence?
There are several definitions of the concept of emotional intelligence.
It can be summarized thus:
“The capacity for recognizing our own feelings and those of others, for motivating ourselves, for managing emotions well in ourselves and in our relationships”
Personal Competence – Self-awareness
- Emotional Awareness: Recognizing one’s emotion and their effects
- Accurate Self-assessment: Knowing one’s strengths and limits
- Self-confidence: A strong sense of one’s self-worth and capabilities
Personal Competence – Self-regulation
- Self-control: Keeping disruptive emotions and impulses in check
- Trustworthiness: Maintaining standards of honesty and integrity
- Conscientiousness: Taking responsibility for personal performance
Personal Competence – Motivation
- Achievement Drive: Striving to improve or meet a standard of excellence
- Commitment: Aligning with the goals of the group or organization
- Initiative: Readiness to act on opportunities
- Optimism: Persistence in pursuing goals despite obstacles and setbacks.
Social Competence – Empathy
- Understanding Others: Sensing others’ feelings and perspectives; taking an active interest in their concerns
- Developing Others: Sensing others’ development needs and boosting their abilities
- Service Orientation: Anticipating, recognizing, and meeting customers’ needs
Social Competence – Social Skills
- Influence: Wielding effective tactics for persuasion
- Communication: Listening openly and sending convincing messages
- Conflict Management: Negotiating and resolving disagreement
- Leadership: Inspiring and guiding individuals and groups